Available in all Indian kitchens, turmeric is a light source of healthy living and helps you to fight many diseases. Here are some amazing one hundred health benefits of turmeric!
Turmeric is used in many Indian cuisines as a colouring and flavouring agent. It tastes warm, bitter, pepper-like and has an earthy, mustard-like aroma. From health to beauty, it has many applications in Ayurvedic medicine and is growing into one of the most popular spices in the world. You can easily buy it in the market and consume it both as a whole root, or the yellow powdered spice used in Indian cooking.
Turmeric has the following medicinal properties:
Traditional Uses of Turmeric in Ayurveda
❏ According to Ayurveda, the traditional Indian medicine, right application of turmeric or Haldi or Haridra can balance the three doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. But overuse can worsen pitta and vata related conditions.
❏ It cleanses the circulatory system known as Rasa and Rakta Dhatu and can aid the digestive system by aiding Agni and reducing Kapha and Ama.
❏ Many Indians believe that including turmeric in religious rituals helps in overcoming obstacles, achieving success and gaining prosperity.
❏ And people who practice traditional Yoga uses the herb to open subtle channels and chakras and strengthen bones, joints, and ligaments.
❏ When used as a spice in cooking, turmeric:
- Detoxes the liver
- Stimulates digestion
- Balances cholesterol levels
- Boosts immunity
- Enhances the complexion
- Prevents and cures allergies
Research suggests that turmeric in many cases works better than steroids and protects people from the side effects of drugs. So, based on Ayurveda, latest scientific researchers and findings, here are 100 amazing turmeric powder benefits that many of us don’t know about:
A natural ingredient for good health
1. An anti-inflammatory agent
2. A natural painkiller
3. A potent antioxidant
4. Prevents DNA from damage
5. Removes heavy metal deposit from the body
6. Heals wound fast
Strengthens our Digestive System
7. Improves digestion
8. Minimizes GERD and acid reflux
9. Cures inflammatory bowel diseases
10. Cures irritable bowel syndrome
11. Promotes healthy pancreas
Strengthens our Bones and Joints
12. Gives relief from arthritic pain
13. Prevents osteoarthritis
14. Heals bone fractures
15. Treats muscle disorders
Prevents and cures Hematologic system/ Blood-related disorders
16. Supports treatment of thalassemia
17. Helps in tackling anaemia
18. Has antiplatelet property
19. Improves spleen health
Beneficial for Brain and Nervous System
20. Helps in dealing with depression
21. Beneficial in treating post-traumatic stress disorder
22. Good for patients suffering from bipolar disorder
23. Boosts memory and treats learning disorders
24. Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
25. Helpful for patients suffering from Parkinson’s Disease
26. Helps in recovery after stroke
27. Controls epilepsy and seizures
28. Reduces morphine tolerance/dependence
Helps in treating Eye and Ear Related Disorders
29. Helps in uveitis
30. Helps patients suffering from glaucoma and cataract
31. May support tinnitus treatment
Good for Oral Health
32. A potent cure for gingivitis
33. Removes plaque
34. Cures periodontitis
35. Treats oral lichen planus
36. Cures oral ulcers
Promotes Healthy Respiratory System
37. Cures a cough and cold
38. A potent anti-asthma agent
39. Prevents nicotine smoke-induced damage
40. Used traditionally to treat COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Prevents and cures Liver & Gallbladder Diseases
41. Prevents liver infection
42. Protects from alcohol-induced toxicity
43. Cures non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
44. Used traditionally to treat in liver fibrosis
45. Helps in treating hepatitis
46. Prevents gallstone formation
Good For Metabolic Health (Diabetes, BP and Weight Loss)
47. Good for people undergoing weight loss program
48. Reduces cholesterol levels
49. Works an antidiabetic agent
50. Reverses prediabetes
51. Lowers blood pressure
Good for Endocrine System and Hormonal Disorders
52. Improves thyroid health
53. May minimize hirsutism or abnormal growth of hair on a person's face and body
Good for Heart and Cardiovascular System
54. Prevents Heart Diseases
55. Minimizes risk of heart attacks
56. Prevents atherosclerosis
57. Good for dealing with thrombosis
Boosts Reproductive Health
58. Alleviates pre-menstrual syndrome
59. Good for women experiencing menopause
60. A good medicine for endometriosis
61. Therapeutic in uterine fibroids
62. Beneficial in PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
63. A good medicine for vaginitis and leucorrhoea
64. A good medicine for toxicity induced male infertility
65. Therapeutic in prostatitis and benign prostate enlargement
Strengthens Urinary System
66. Cures urinary infections
67. Prevents kidney disorders and toxicity
A Great Remedy For Skin!
68. Cures Acne
69. Heals minor cuts and wounds
70. Prevents sunburns and offers photoprotection
71. Soothes eczema
72. Cures psoriasis
73. Reduces signs of ageing
Treats Autoimmune Conditions
74. Promotes immunity
75. Beneficial in treating lupus
76. Alleviates allergic reactions
77. A good medicine for ulcerative colitis
Helps Fight Infections
78. Has strong anti-microbial properties
79. Good for HIV patients
80. Prevents HPV from progressing to cancer
81. Therapeutic in herpes
82. Helps treat influenza
83. An anti-Candida agent
Turmeric for cancer
84. Turmeric kills cancer cells
85. An anti-angiogenic agent
86. Prevents metastasis
87. Boosts chemosensitivity and radiosensitivity
88. Good for patients suffering from cancer and side effect of related treatments
89. Seems to have chemopreventive potential
90. Topical application improves the health of cancer patients
91. Helps treat over 50 types of cancer!
Prevents age-related health hazards
92. Strengthens healthy heart
93. Prevents age-related bone loss
94. Prevents age-related memory loss and improves memory functions
95. Boosts immunity
96. Promotes longevity
Power packed with essential nutrients
97. Reduces oxidation of cooking oils
98. Reduces oxidation of meat items
99. Protects food items from carcinogens
100. Kills food pathogens
How To Use Tips, Precautions and Side-Effects of Turmeric
Now, you know what turmeric can do for your health and wellness, let's see how to use turmeric in your daily life according to Ayurveda. In every sense, turmeric is a magic herb that can cure or alleviate many health-related issues. But, just like any other drug, turmeric, although a natural substance, shows some side-effects if overused. Many people are allergic to turmeric, especially if applied topically (in the form of a mild, itchy rash) or nausea after eating it raw.
High doses of turmeric can cause:
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Increased menstrual flow
- Increased risk of bleeding
- Increased liver function tests
- Hyperactive gallbladder contractions
- Uterine contractions in pregnant women
Also, you should be careful while having turmeric with your food or having turmeric as a supplement, especially if you are under medication or have a condition:
- If you suffer from Pitta Dosha, it may cause bleeding disorders,
- It may interfere with anticoagulants like aspirin, clopidogrel, and warfarin,
- It can affect some medication, such as non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Therefore, follow the advice of your physician or follow the instruction on dosage while having turmeric with food or having as a dietary supplement.
How to use turmeric as a remedy for common ailments?
The health benefits of turmeric with milk are endless. Mix 1 tsp of turmeric to 1 cup of warm milk, boil and drink before bed.
- Anaemia: Have 1 tsp of turmeric juice mixed with honey daily.
- Asthma: Boil 1 cup of milk with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and drink warm.
- Burns: Mix 1 tsp of turmeric with 1 tsp of aloe gel and apply the ointment on the burnt area.
- Conjunctivitis: Mix 1 tbsp of crushed, raw turmeric with 1/3 cup of water. Boil and sieve. Put 2–3 drops of this mixture in each eye up to 3 times per day.
- Complexion: Ancient people discovered the benefits of turmeric for skin. Prepare a paste using raw turmeric. Apply the paste on the skin before going to bed, leave it on for a few minutes and wash off with water. In the morning, wash off the remaining yellow tinge with a paste of chickpea flour (besan) and oil.
- Dental problems: Mix 1 tsp of powdered turmeric with ½ tsp of salt and add mustard oil to make a paste. Brush with this paste twice daily.
- Diabetes: Have ½–1 tsp of turmeric 3 times a day.
- Diarrhoea: Mix ½ tsp of turmeric powder or juice in water, and drink the solution 3 times per day.
- Pain: Mix 1 tsp of turmeric, 2 tsp of ginger and a little water to make a paste. Cover the affected area with the paste and wrap with a bandage.
- Ear Infection: Turmeric dust, mixed with alum 1:20, is blown into the ear to treat chronic otorrhea.
- Piles: Directly apply a mixture of mustard oil, turmeric, and onion juice. Take a 2 - 3 tablespoons of turmeric every half hour until the rectal bleeding stops. In most cases, bleeding stops in an hour.
Other uses of Turmeric
1. Colouring Agent
2. A mandatory ingredient for many sacred Hindu rituals
3. Improves skin complexion
4. Burning turmeric works as an insect repellant.
5. Inhaling the smoke clears coughs, asthma, and congested nasal passages.
A word of caution:
- Although generally considered safe, pregnant women should use the yellow spice only after consulting with their doctor.
- Ask your doctor if you should use turmeric if you are under blood-thinning and platelet-inhibiting medications.
- Ask your doctor if you should take turmeric supplements in case you are suffering from diseases like acute hepatitis, jaundice, gallstones, bile duct obstruction, ulcers, or hyperacidity.